Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

Business Assistance

Certificate of Occupancy/Building Permit
To obtain District clearance you have to download, print, complete and submit our form. Note that this is a two-sided document (this is the back side), and it must be completely filled out (including a signature and date) for us to act on it. Once you have completed the form you can bring it to the office (to the permit counter), fax it to us, or mail it to us. We will review the form upon receipt - we may require that you submit the appropriate air permit application or application(s) (with corresponding fee(s)) before we provide clearance. When (if) we clear the identified action we will sign and stamp the form. We can provide you with the signed and stamped form and/or fax it to your permitting agency. Note that we will retain a copy of the signed form for our records. Please contact Alan De Salvio with questions on this form and process.

Asbestos and Demolition/Renovation
Please refer to our Asbestos Information Page.

Air Permit Applications
You are not required to apply for an air permit for all equipment and processes. Rule 219 specifies what equipment is exempt from permitting (although 50 horsepower, two million Btus per hour and 250 gallons of fuel storage are good yardsticks as minimums for equipment that does require a permit). If you can't find your equipment or process in Rule 219 call or visit us and we will tell you whether you need to apply for a permit. Please note that Rule 219 requires records to be kept for many exempt operations, for example coating use, so make and retain good records if you are minimizing your operation to not require a permit. Download, print and complete (including signature and date) the appropriate application form for the equipment you are proposing that requires a permit - each form is double-sided, fill out all applicable portions of each side (general instructions are provided). Please note that you must obtain a permit from us (initially called an Authority to Construct) prior to commencing construction of anything requiring a permit. Gasoline dispensing facilities (retail and non-retail) have a special application. Internal combustion engines (reciprocating, any fuel) have a special application. Dry cleaning equipment has a special application. Everything else uses the general application, one application per process (but one application for every air pollution control device, like spray booths and baghouses). Assemble the necessary completed applications (with original signatures), all applicable fees as required by Rule 301 (typically $261.00 per application except for changes of ownership), and any additional information the instructions called for or you think we might need, and bring it to the permitting counter in person or mail it to us. By rule we have thirty days to let you know if the application package is complete (but we typically will contact you before that). Once we are done processing your application(s) you will receive your new permits along with an invoice for the first year's annual permit fees as calculated by Rule 301 (or a pro-rated portion thereof). Your permits will have an expiration date of roughly one year (technically one year from the date of receipt if you are a new facility for us). You can commence construction as soon as you have your permits in hand! Please contact Alan De Salvio with questions on these forms and processes.

Small Business "No-Fault" Facility Audit
District staff are available to visit your facility and identify any unpermitted equipment or other potential air quality violations for your information. Please note that this service is only provided to small businesses. This facility audit will not result in any Notices to Comply or Notices of Violation, but may trigger a follow-up site inspection if significant issues are discovered (in this case you would be given time to take corrective action beforehand). If you are interested in requesting a no-fault facility audit please contact Alan De Salvio.

**this service available to small businesses only

Last updated: 5/18/2016 9:09:47 AM