Business Assistance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Certificate of Occupancy/Building Permit

To obtain District clearance you have to download, print, complete and submit our form. Note that this is a two-sided document, and it must be completely filled out (including a signature and date) for us to act on it. Once you have completed the form you can bring it to the office (to the permit counter), fax it to us, email it to us at, or mail it to us.

We will review the form upon receipt - we may require that you submit the appropriate air permit application or application(s) (with corresponding fee(s)) before we provide clearance. When (if) we clear the identified action we will sign and stamp the form. We can provide you with the signed and stamped form and/or fax it to your permitting agency. Note that we will retain a copy of the signed form for our records. Please contact Alan De Salvio with questions on this form and process.

 Asbestos and Demolition/Renovation

Please refer to our Asbestos Information Page.

 Air Permit Applications

You are not required to apply for an air permit for all equipment and processes. Rule 219 specifies what equipment is exempt from permitting (although 50 horsepower, two million BTUs per hour and 250 gallons of fuel storage are good yardsticks as minimums for equipment that does require a permit). If you can't find your equipment or process in Rule 219 call or visit us and we will tell you whether you need to apply for a permit. Please note that Rule 219 requires records to be kept for many exempt operations, for example coating use, so make and retain good records if you are minimizing your operation to not require a permit.

Download, print and complete (including signature and date) the appropriate application form for the equipment you are proposing that requires a permit. Please note that you must obtain a permit from us (initially called an Authority to Construct) prior to commencing construction of anything requiring a permit.

The application fee and submission instructions are on the last page of each application form. Please include all necessary completed applications, all application fees, and any additional information such as site diagrams, process flow diagrams, manufacturer specifications, proof of emissions certifications, etc. with your application submission.

 By rule we have thirty days to let you know if the application package is complete (but we typically will contact you before that). Once we are done processing your application(s) you will receive your new permits along with an invoice for the first year's annual permit fees as calculated by Rule 301 (or a pro-rated portion thereof). Your permits will have an expiration date of roughly one year (technically one year from the date of receipt if you are a new facility for us). You can commence construction as soon as you have your permits in hand! Please contact Alan De Salvio with questions on these forms and processes.

 Small Business "No-Fault" Facility Audit

District staff are available to visit your facility and identify any unpermitted equipment or other potential air quality violations for your information. Please note that this service is only provided to small businesses. This facility audit will not result in any Notices to Comply or Notices of Violation, but may trigger a follow-up site inspection if significant issues are discovered (in this case you would be given time to take corrective action beforehand). If you are interested in requesting a no-fault facility audit please contact Alan De Salvio.

**this service available to small businesses only

 Agricultural Engine Registration

Diesel engines rated at 50 horsepower and greater, operating in the Mojave Desert Air Quality Management District (MDAQMD) must be registered with the MDAQMD. This requirement is found in District Rule 114, Registration Program for Compression Ignition Engines Used in Small Agricultural Operations and is based on the California Air Resources Board (CARB) Airborne Toxic Control Measure (ATCM) for Stationary Diesel Engines. An ARB fact sheet provides additional information and details on the requirements of the ATCM. The requirements apply to stationary and portable diesel internal combustion engine rated at 50 brake-horsepower and above used in agricultural operations (i.e. irrigation pumps, “sprinkler engines”, generators, well pumps, etc.); however, they will not apply to a diesel engine used to power mobile farm equipment such as a truck or tractor. For current ATCM regulatory language please see the CARB Stationary Diesel Engine ATCM.

Registration applications are now available at the District offices located at 14306 Park Ave, Victorville CA. Registration must be renewed by owner/operator on a triennial basis.

Completed registration applications must be submitted to the MDAQMD at:

Attn: Agricultural Engine Registration Program
14306 Park Ave
Victorville, CA 92392-2310

In addition to the registration, the law requires engines to:

  • be equipped with a non-resetting hour meter and
  • meet the emission standards shown in the compliance schedule.

There may be funding available through the Carl Moyer Program to replace or retrofit this equipment. Please call Jean Bracy at (760) 245-1661 x6214 if you are interested in this program.

If you have any questions in regard to the registration application or requirements, please contact Mr. Christian Anderson at the MDAQMD at (760) 245-1661 extension 1846.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer